Friday, April 20, 2012

Craft Project: Crystal Sun Catchers

We were inspired by the Housing a Forest blog this week. We made crystal sun catchers out of pipe cleaners and a Borax/water solution. This was a super EASY project and it went just as planned (whew!). It also took no time at all. We quickly did it before bedtime one night so we could see the results the next morning.

 (You can get a tiny sneak peek of our new art room! I have a post all ready to give you a full tour, but I'm waiting on one more wall decal to arrive before I take the final "the art room is finished!" photo).
 The girls made shapes out of pipe cleaners and we tied them to some bamboo skewers I had (you can use pencils as well).
 Isn't that cute? My daughter put "Love" on her heart.
Here are the finished pipe cleaner shapes.

After we had shapes made, I boiled some water in the tea kettle and mixed 1/2 cup borax to 2 1/2 cups of water. We then suspended the shapes in the glasses (I didn't have large mason jars) and solution overnight.
And here's what we ended up with the next day!! I haven't had a chance to hang them in the window yet.
We'll definitely be doing this project again!

2 comments: